View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I just checked the wife's X1 when swapping to winters, and the inside pad looks really really thin. I'm actually surprised that the sensor didn't trip yet. I've gotten pads from brake overstock before on ebay. They are actually a store called Callahan that is out of Illinois and I have used their brakes on many many cars. Their hardware seems very good, and the price is super low. I managed to get a closeout deal on 4 rotors, 2 sets of ceramic pads, and 2 sensors all for... $80 USD shipped. They told me they only had a few left which is why it was cheap. Also that they do not have stock for the fronts anymore for a bit (I wanted to go with drilled or slotted for the looks haha). I'm not complaining for the bargain I got, I'll be doing a front brake job in the next week or so. The rears look like they have a lot of life still, but I might just change it all while I'm at it so I can get another 40+K miles and 4 years out of it.

*Update* I had some time so I did the front brakes. The rotors themselves were in pretty decent shape, almost the same thickness as the new rotors I got from brake overstock. The sensors they provided were also pretty much OEM. I got lazy and reused the stock sensor. The inside pad was literally starting to rub the sensor, so I think I got to it just in time. I figure might as well keep it all OEM and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can always use the sensor again if I ever wear it down enough to trip it. The rear pads have enough life on it I'll wait for another day to do the rears, my old back can't handle this job and clearing all the ice and snow from the latest storm. Off the top of my head for DIY'ers. The driver's side is the side with the sensor. If you have to unplug the sensor, looks like you need to lift up part of the splash shield to get to it (also partially why I didn't bother swapping to a new one). The bolts holding the caliper on was 18mm The size of the caliper slide pins was 12mm on the outside, and 17mm wrench on the inside to hold it steady. I did one side by taking the slide pins etc all off, the other side I was lazy and just took the entire caliper off and did it all fully assembled. Can't remember the size of the one Allen bolt holding the rotor on. It was my second to largest key in my metric set though, and I didn't have that size in my "tool bit" impact socket kit. All pads are pretty much identical "EXCEPT" the one inside pad you need to put the sensor on, there's a slightly different size of the slot to put the sensor in.. so look carefully at the pads!

Rear brakes.. I was looking if bimmercode could put the rear parking brakes into service mode, which it doesn't look like it. I have a bunch of things and I don't see that anything can do it (icarly looked like it might but then didn't list the X1 it said "test to see if it works") Plus I don't have an icarly adapter specifically. Still you can manually take it apart I'm sure like all electronic parking brakes.

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 12-06-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0