View Single Post
      07-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Replaced both front and rear relatively early, only after low pad life indicator light came on. Rear changed at 25.3k miles after only about 1 year and 1 month from purchase (brand new) and front at 30.8k miles after 1 year and 5 months.

Went with OEM pads and Zimmerman rotors for rear and Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors for front. I would've done Akebonos on both axles, but they weren't available when I changed my rear brakes. There is no noticeable difference in stopping power with the Akebonos up front and they definitely create less brake dust than the rears.

Driving style is ~60% highway (with some stop and go traffic)/40% city with roughly 50% "spirited" driving style and 50% conservative.

A note to future DIY'ers is that a rear brake job will require either a scan tool capable of winding back the electronic parking brake, or you'll have to do it manually by removing the parking brake actuator and then winding the piston back. Also, per newTIS, the rear brake bracket bolts need to be tightened to a specific torque amount (30 Nm) then to a particular angle (90 degrees). Besides these 2 points, it's a typical brake job like most other vehicles.
Appreciate 1
CliveL163.00