View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
With something like an AM, invoices below five figures should be pretty much run-of-the-mill upkeep expenses. A GT3 owner once told me his Ferrari was laid up because he didn't want to pay just then for the $20K brake job it needed. An R8 owner told me his brake job was $7K – I'm not sure, but I think that was just the fronts.

In the 70s I paid $1,925 in 10/2020 dollars for some really minor work on a Jaguar. That car had a number of engineered-in flaws that could not be fixed. For example, a V12 exhaust system's heat flowing over the transmission tunnel and into the cockpit. I lived in North Texas at the time, and that was a terrific feature in the winter but just a really bad bug in the summer.

Either the dealers didn't know about the car's failings or they were happy to just take my money and claim the job had been done. I spent too much time arguing over invoices with those dealers' service managers and chose to sell the car after a year of owning and (mostly) enjoying it.
You've got some pretty interesting ownership stories, I enjoyed reading them!

When I saw what it costs to replace the clutch on something the AM V8 and Lotus Evora, it really turned me off to those type of cars. $10k for a clutch job, which entails blowing up apart half the car to get to it, while not costing that much less than what I paid for my E36 M3 really put it into perspective for me.

This is why I'll stick the ///M playground. Parts and repairs aren't cheap, but at least they're not 5 figures expensive unless you blow your engine, and even then you can get away with 4 figures depending what car you have.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
dradernh4440.00