08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&Mrs323i View Post
I started a new job at a small company last June and so far it has been pretty good until one of my coworkers on two separate occasions pulled the 'chicken flied lice' comment in my presence as well as others.
The first time it happened I was shocked and didn't know how to react as it has been many years since old school yard stuff. I was pissed off but I thought that it was a one-off and let it slide.
This week it happened the second time and in front of another coworker who gave a nervous laugh. This time I was pissed off again and stared at the guy who did it.
Been thinking about it last night as to what approach to take. Either talk to him in person but that means everyone else can hear it or send an email telling him to stop that crap.

Do you remember the date and time of the first comment? Any witnesses?

Most important thing for you is document everything. Go speak to him and summarize the conversation and include it with your documentation. If you feel that he's unapologetic and the behavior will continue, speak with your manager about it and show him the documentation. Most witnesses will do the right thing when faced with protecting a racist in the workplace. Your manager should then either have a very poignant conversation with the employee or kick it up to HR to deal with and investigate.

I work for a company known for it's diversity and that would pretty much constitute termination here.
Appreciate 0