View Single Post
      08-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

Experienced Workplace Harrassment?

I started a new job at a small company last June and so far it has been pretty good until one of my coworkers on two separate occasions pulled the 'chicken flied lice' comment in my presence as well as others.
The first time it happened I was shocked and didn't know how to react as it has been many years since old school yard stuff. I was pissed off but I thought that it was a one-off and let it slide.
This week it happened the second time and in front of another coworker who gave a nervous laugh. This time I was pissed off again and stared at the guy who did it.
Been thinking about it last night as to what approach to take. Either talk to him in person but that means everyone else can hear it or send an email telling him to stop that crap.

Update:
After finally shedding my anger I kept it civil. Started with small talk first thing in the morning when he walked in and since he and I were the only ones in the office I then walked over to his desk, looked him in the eye and in a firm assertive voice said "Hey, you know the times you did that fried rice thing?....Can you stop doing that around me? It really hurt me."
His response: "Uh...okay...". Then I said "Thank you, I appreciate it." There, I kept it civil and not vent.

I'm pretty easy going and did cut him some slack the first time but the second instance was one too many. It may seem very minor to some of you but it has to be nipped in the bud or else everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and mimic that behaviour. I've been fortunate to have worked many years without dealing with this behaviour in the office because everyone is respectful to each other.

Some additional perspective for you observers: I'm about 30 years senior to this co-worker who is in his late 20's and I'm the only asian in this office.

Last edited by Mr&Mrs323i; 08-31-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0