View Single Post
      01-11-2024, 06:18 AM   #21
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Septic systems are typically sized/permitted based on number of bedrooms, not bathrooms. The “people load” determines the volume that goes in, not the number of fixtures. So with a system sized for 4 bedrooms but only one typically occupied (as our is), the tank will fill with solids very slowly, and not need frequent pumping.

With good use (don’t put things down that don’t biodegrade, no bleach, no grease, etc), it can be a long time, or never, to need pumping.

I’ve had two houses with septic systems, both for 4 bedrooms, both occupied before us by a couple with occasional visitors, and neither needed pumping when we bought (5 years after last pump).

Bleach is particularly bad. The tank is typically concrete. Bleach will both kill the enzymes that are needed in the tank and it will deteriorate the concrete (especially the baffles in the tank that slow the flow). There are good alternatives, and there are many septic friendly cleaners, detergents, toilet papers, etc.

Normally there is enough bacteria in our septic inputs to not require adding enzymes, but it can help get the tank going and maintain it as noted above. Same manufacturer posted above also has an enzyme pipe cleaner that is very good and will help the septic system as well.

The leach field, where the final liquids disperse, is important. You can plant grass and such on it, and kids can play safely on it, but you should not plant anything with deep roots nor any food garden on it (flowers would be fine I suppose). There is no odor from the system - if you have an odor (I never have), you have a problem.
Appreciate 1