View Single Post
      05-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03chu View Post
great idea. given how buff the magnets are, would the plate "move" while the car goes over bumps then over time thin out the pain beneath/between? where i live, ca, cops will pull you over if you don't have a plate on, but then i guess i could just snap this on and said i was washing my car. bleh. thinking aloud. great idea though
It's possible. I didn't really factor it into the design since this was never intended as a permanent mounting solution -- there are plenty of other ones that will do that better. To help prevent scratching, you could cover up the magnets on the bracket with a softer material to prevent abrasion. Just keep in mind that the thicker the material is, the less magnetic force will be available to keep the two halves together.

FWIW, I've lived 4 of the last 5 years within a couple blocks of different police stations, and have yet to be bothered about not having a front plate on two fairly conspicuous cars. In the car I had before the Z4, I was pulled over 3 times but none of those occasions were for a missing front plate, and in none of those incidents was I given an additional ticket for such. The only times I've gotten tickets for not having a front plate were once when I was parked in the city of Chicago on a metered street, and once when I was parked at O'Hare (hence this solution is a good compromise for me).

Most of the nicer cars I see around here don't sport front plates, which, along with my personal experience, leads me to conclude that the threat of getting a ticket for not having one is minor, at least around here. The two tickets I've gotten I've chalked up to a "vanity tax." After all, that's why we buy expensive, pretty cars, isn't it?
Appreciate 0