View Single Post
      09-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #47
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
I don't believe some folks here know how science works.

When you say, how do we fix a problem when we can't isolate it. In the medical field we run tests to try and figure out what the problem is. The patient might say or think one thing, when in actuality its another. Just like a car, a mechanic needs to run tests to figure out what the issue is, then run more tests to see if that truly is the issue. When fixing things, we might end up finding another problem that needs to be addressed. This is life.

The butter argument is a great example of how science works. We thought margarine was better for you than butter, when in reality it is far worse. This does not mean butter is good; butter is still bad for you, just not as bad a margarine. I mean, look at cigarettes or how about more recently, COVID.

I live in Socal and I see the smog everyday. When I travel to Central CA and go over the Grapevine, I can literally see the smog layer. You can't tell me that is natural. When my family goes scuba diving in Hawaii and tell me how devastated the reefs are, you can't tell me that's natural.
There is definitely some irony in there considering CA is supposedly the most environmentally conscious state.

If you look at Covid and how much general traffic and people movement stopped during that time to reduce emissions by what we saw during that timeframe, it becomes obvious that no adjustment in our everyday lives is possible to get to that level without completely altering everyone's lifestyle... and by that I mean including our capitalist consumption society.

Went an easy fix... ban private jets, go hard on China and significantly find a way to slow general consumption... good luck w any of those. Oh and force all companies that can offer remote work to do so.