View Single Post
      05-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
mhouck
Rep
Drives: VW Golf TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chull View Post
I have the same problem on much of my interior on my 2004 X3.

Here's an incomplete list of peeling plastic:

Steering wheel
Dashtop/console storage bin button
Cupholder
Center Console (basically all the flat painted stuff rearward of the texture around the gear lever)
Rear ashtray (sorry: ashtrayish flipout power outlet)

I am about to pop the steering wheel cover off and repaint it. This is really tacky with the white plastic showing through in 5 or so places. My wife is so annoyed she even searched for a replacement piece, but at $300-$500 for a bit of plastic (BMW wants you to buy a new steering wheel; used wasn't much better) she didn't bite on the replacement.

Maybe someday I will try to repaint the other bits, but it is only black plastic showing through dark gray paint on those - not as offensive. Luckily, the top console bin itself and the instrument pod surround cover are not touched, so they have not chipped.

I can definitely see how the interior is vastly inferior to that of our E46 325iT. Both have about 70K miles (the 325 is 5 years older) and both have been hauling babies/toddlers/kids around for most of their life. but the E46 interior is unmarred save for a single broken speaker surround. The X3 has this peeling paint and the seatbacks are scratched and the running boards are scratched and the plastic around rear hatch is scratched.

Note that the X3 is built by Magna Steyr, which also builds the European versions of many Chryslers, including the Voyager, 300C, Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee. Although this quality may be acceptable to the average Chrylser customer, it is unexpected for a BMW (this was my 4th).
Ended up purchasing an 2008. It has been detailed and there is an area where the peeling plastic has been touched up. I would like to find out what they used as it did a very nice job!
Appreciate 0