12-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #92
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnguyen View Post
- If you don't mind, may I ask what are the other switches that you bought?

Also, beside the button, did you compare the pin layout and/or the circuit board from those you bought?

I am tempted to buy some used switches too to compare. As example, I found this model: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-31-6-822-518

It seems to have the same pin and circuit board from the pictures. We'll have to see what's really inside. Based on the pictures shared in the thread, it seems there is 1 pin missing and the LED on the board.
I bought a spare F48 switch to dissemble and modify. The closest match for size but not pin layout I found is BMW X5 X6 E70-E72 HANDBRAKE PARKING BRAKE AUTO HOLD SWITCH BUTTON. Circuit boards are very similar but not identical.I found no switches from other models with identical pin layout.

The project failed for me because my car post July 2017 (Entrynav 2 vehicles) does not have the dash auto hold symbol and my switch is missing pins and a loom wire compared to X5. I got as far as working out options would be either to modify the F48 switch (using x5 switch for parts and guide) or use the X5 switch but modify/bridge the connector as pin layouts are different.

If you have a pre July 2017 vehicle or one with auto hold dash symbol then it should/might be possible, the F48 switch mod may need an led slotted and soldered into place on the small board (location obvious) and a linking mechanism created (x5 switch no use for this but good for comparison, pin/s iif needed and led). I worked out a spring loaded contact/terminal-probe would be best bet and would also need a short length of square/oblong profile acrylic rod to act as optic fibre so that led can be seen.
Mod would be to then create switch top with contact and acrylic rod bonded into place using 2-part putty. Basically you are creating a means to press the internal switches present on the board, the led is cosmetic but also may complete part of a circuit. If just using the X5 switch then it is not a straight swap, pin layouts are different and a small amount of adjustment/cosmetic work would be required to install. As an example the screws arms are different but it is nearest in profile.

IMO anyone attempting this mod would be advised to first remove and disassemble their switch so that internal micro switch pads are accessible (there are 2 side by side but either works) then connect and test by pressing contact pads, if auto hold function is available then the symbol will illuminate on the car dash between speedometer and Rev counter. All this at your risk, I make no assurances.

If anyone wants my spare F48 switch and the X5 switch they can have both for U.K. GBP 23 (this was cost to me for one of the switches) plus postage at cost to your location, PM me if interested.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-05-2020 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0