01-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
That's not 100% accurate as some have found out here and in the x2 forum, there's a combination of missing options that will prevent Carplay even via MMI or retrofits with the 8.8" screen in a 2018 vehicle, but apparently it's a rare combo of missed options.
Hi
I forgot forum members are global and the build spec on cars varies from country to country, so I stand corrected. My apologies.

Looking at the technical spec for f48 cars (USA & europe) there appear to be 3 head units are available, a basic media only, media and navigation (same unit for nav and Nav plus) and finally advanced Harman Kardon head unit which may just be the media and nav unit with Harman Kardon markings on top of HU but certainly has additional external audio equipment (e.g. amplifier and digital equaliser in x1 boot) installed. My understanding from technical literature is all units have an integrated Bluetooth module but the basic media HU (possibly some other rare option combo for nav unit also) may not have the Bluetooth antenna fitted (or function enabled) as standard. Luckily they can be installed and/or enabled at later date —> antenna plugged in to socket!. My understanding from tech spec sheets is all units with Bluetooth enabled (just coding) can have enhanced Bluetooth function enabled if hands free is fitted and enabled. Original BMW tech sheets state that cars with “variant hands free” can also have enhanced usb, Bluetooth and smartphone integration added later at customer request. However if a build spec does not have hands free telephony then BMW will not offer retrofit enhanced Bluetooth and this may be why BMW also says CarPlay is not available/possible. Again I speculate but this may be because BMW CarPlay literature offers certain features (e.g could be hands free interaction or wi-fi hot spot etc). Here again a microphone (all head units support hands free) and wi-fi antenna can be retrofitted. Now, what is technically possible may be different to what BMW are prepared to allow/offer as a retrofit. BMW May also offer different explanations of why something can or cannot be done. Technically, my understanding is all F48 head units should be able to support Apple CarPlay. Whilst Apple car play can run through wi-fi, Bluetooth or usb it may be BMW are saying not possible for some builds because there is not a full set of functionality. These could be simple fixes such as Bluetooth antenna or retrofitting hands free function (microphones) etc
The build spec for my f48 has basic nav, basic hands free telephony and I can connect my phone for both voice and audio streaming. I was told CarPlay was not available because it needed an 8.8” monitor, the smaller display is not suitable for the functionality. Looking at what is possible through ecu coding, namely many functions are a simple switch on/off and some require additional hardware (but then are possible) I believe perseverance should get you there. Dealers are often reluctant but will, after having tried to put you off, install parts and enable/code them. If you are prepared to get your dealer to fit missing parts, Once fitted and coded/enabled , try Contacting BMW connected team to allow to to buy a CarPlay subscription. Be warned the cost will be high but might be less than trading your vehicle for another.
As a last resort there are services offering to install (basically enable/code CarPlay via usb including provided BMW fsc licence activation codes specific to the vin of your vehicle ) if you or your dealer cannot get BMW to agree. I am not suggesting anyone break the law, so make sure any software installed is licenced.
Good luck
Appreciate 0