Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Just in general Vs wireless.. I don’t know which is better.
How worried are you about security? Not only is wired more stable it is also more secure.

We had a couple neighbors here have their cars broken into about 15 minutes apart, coincidentally both their ring doorbells were down. That could be mean ring was having trouble with their servers, their cameras both happen to lose signals around that time because of spotty wifi, or the criminals are getting smarter and are starting to jam people's wifi.

Whatever the reason was, a wired IP camera wouldn't have had any of those issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Thanks. Was thinking POE or just wired in general but don't really wanna drill holes or run a bunch of wires. Home is 2 story so might be more pain to do wired vs wireless.
Unless you get battery operated wireless cams, you still have to get power to a wireless camera that does not operate on batteries. If you do run battery operated cameras, you have to remember to replace/recharge the batteries. I think I did see some wireless cameras which have solar panels that are used to recharge the batteries.

But I feel going the route of wireless/battery operated cameras is just a compromise all the way around. I'm not sure how your house is set up, but there are probably ways to run Category cabling without much construction work on your house. If you have siding, you can run the cabling underneath the siding to the desired locations. If your house has a garage with an attic space above, you could run cabling up into the attic space above the garage and then distribute them along the soffit vents to where you need he cameras. I did this for the camera I have monitoring the front door. Ran the cabling along the soffit vent along the garage and mounted the camera directly on the soffit vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
Just in general Vs wireless.. I don't know which is better.
How worried are you about security? Not only is wired more stable it is also more secure.

We had a couple neighbors here have their cars broken into about 15 minutes apart, coincidentally both their ring doorbells were down. That could be mean ring was having trouble with their servers, their cameras both happen to lose signals around that time because of spotty wifi, or the criminals are getting smarter and are starting to jam people's wifi.

Whatever the reason was, a wired IP camera wouldn't have had any of those issues.
Yeah thinking wired is probably best too. Hate having to do with cloud storage, subscriptions and such. I do like some of the spotlight security cameras that companies like Ring offers though. Of course wireless is just easier. I'm not too worried about security but you never know if/when things can get worse. Wireless allows me to check on things when I'm away.
Appreciate 0