View Single Post
      01-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Greetings! First post, new to the X1 (and BMW). Fortunately, not new to Haldex-equipped cars. Lots of great info here on the forum!

VW and Audi actually do have drain plugs for servicing, and there is a 3 year (no mileage indication) fluid change interval on the GenV Haldex-equipped cars. Volvo and Ford seem to think the fluid never needs to be changed... Based on past experience, I'm pretty surprised that there is 1) no drain plug, and 2) no service interval.

This unit looks identical to the GenV unit on my Golf R and Alltrack, and based on the fluid condition of the Alltrack, I think a 30K interval makes sense if you're keeping the car past the warranty period. With no drain plug, I'd recommend pulling the pump along with sucking out the fluid. You can also clean and inspect the pump screen at that time.

After adding fluid, you definitely need to prime the pump if you've removed it. You can turn the car on and run it for a bit, but generally it doesn't put much voltage to the pump and doesn't thoroughly prime it. The quickest way is to undo the pump connector and hook in a 12V power supply (12V battery will work) to run the pump. Polarity doesn't matter, and it's just a 2-wire plug). Of course, if you have an appropriate scan tool with output capabilities, you can run the pump that way as well. Alternatively, you can partially tighten the fill plug and drive around in a couple of figure 8s, which will put full pressure to the pump and prime the system--but then you have to lift the car again. The 12V power method really seems to work the best.

There are two o-rings on the pump, 44mm x 2.5 and 46mm x 2.5. There are kits available for cheap online, or you can just buy the o-rings. They seem to be Buna-N composition, but Viton will work if you're looking to "upgrade"! If you're pulling the pump, it's probably a good idea to swap out the o-rings.

For those leasing the car or trading it in, I honestly wouldn't bother. If you're looking to keep the car for the long haul, say over 100K, I would definitely service the Haldex unit and front transfer box/bevel gear regularly. The rear differential seems to be less of a priority, and a single fluid change at some point would likely suffice.
Appreciate 0