View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
CirrusSR22, very helpful post. Thank you.

I grilled the Parts guy at my nearby BMW dealer and he confirmed that the X1 xDrive takes Hypoid G3 with ~0.7L capacity. I ended up getting 2x 500 ml bottles to be on the safe side. As you noted, it's quite pricey for diff fluid. Paid ~$53 per bottle.

Also, I had a feeling I'll have to suck out the old fluid instead of draining it via drain hole like most other diffs as the "drain plug and washer" that the BMW Parts guy sold me was extremely small. It looked like one of the bolts that holds in the diff cover itself, not an actual fluid drain plug. Appreciate the confirmation, so I don't go nuts looking for a drain hole when one doesn't exist.

As for the rear clutch system, I have an Autel Maxicheck MX808, so I'll see if there's an option to bleed and calibrate it. As an aside, were you able to engage service mode for the rear electronic parking brake with the Foxwell NT530? I wasn't able to get this function to work and ended up returning it, then later picking up the Autel.

For the transfer case, do you have pics of the drain/fill plugs w/ torque specs, or instructions on how to service it? I'm planning on doing this soon, too.

Thanks again.
I only saw fill plugs for both the diff and clutch. The clutch unit is a little M8 bolt with a aluminum sealing ring (07119909493). The differential was a M22 bolt with an integrated green rubber o-ring. I bought a new one of those. Part number 33117525064.

Numerous VW/Volvo Gen V Haldex servicing videos on YouTube also don’t show a drain plug. The common procedure for them is to remove the pump and let the oil drain out that way. This also allows you to clean the screen on the pump. Apparently Gen4 and earlier Haldex systems had a removable filter. Some of the screens look NASTY with clutch debris - and the fluid is black with clutch material. Seems like a crucial service to do!

Almost no one on the VW forums/videos are using the service computer. Most are just filling, reinstalling the fill plug, starting the engine for 30 seconds to get the Haldex pump to run/cycle/prime itself, then topping up after that. Some drive around block to cycle it, then refill. I’m guessing something similar would be “good enough” for our cars. The BMW TIS does mention filling and waiting a few minutes to allow fluid into all the chambers then topping off again. I’ll dig more into the functions in my Foxwell. I’m pretty sure it’ll calibrate the transfer case on my 2008 535xi wagon (E61). Haven’t had a chance to dig around the menus yet when connected to my Clubman ALL4. Just did a quick look for clutch calibration and didn’t see anything.

The transfer case/PTO is pretty easy - you just have to remove a drain pipe with a few small torx head bolts (either an E6 or E8 socket, I forget) to gain access to the fill plug. That has both drain and fill plugs (they’re the same part number). It’s something like an 8mm Allen to remove those plugs. The drain plugs have removable o-rings to seal them. O-rings Not sold Separately from BMW, but I’ll measure my old ones if you want to just order some o-rings.

I was able to fill it easily with the new AMSOIL bag of fluid. Can just squeeze the fluid up right from the container.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...e-gear-75w-90/

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 01-21-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1