//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Yes but was told the spare would fit. Well, they were half right... :-/
I believe the listed compatibility is based on the 5x112 and centerbore match. While many German cars are 5x112, the centerbores are all over the map.

Audi/VW wheels look ok until you realize their holes are 57.1mm, while the X2 requires 66.6.

OTOH, the 18" spare BMW wheels are spec'ed for the X5/E70 and have a 74.1 mm hole.

I guess we can hope BMW stops shipping runflats and makes a proper-clearance wheel available. Yeah, right.

Quote:
I think yes but marginally. {scissors jack is} not substantially wider than the other jack and the problem is the side to side stability rather than front to back. Important thing is to jack on a solid level surface, engage hand brake, use wheel stops (or a rock) then jack up. Remember to loosen the bolts before jacking.
So, many/most of the aftermarket scissors jacks have a lug on top which can rotate, unlike the articulated compact one. This allows the jack to be aligned on-axis to any lift angle or uneven ground, at least a little. In my opinion this significantly increases the safety factor, if the jack is otherwise sound. There are, um, many poor ones.

Safety first, always. Be sure to keep the jack screw, thrust bearing and pivot pins clean and properly lubricated.
Appreciate 1