View Single Post
      10-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
jcatral14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral Grey X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Just a little food for thought that definitely goes against what a lot of people say... I used to try to follow the torque specs, but I've had lugs and nuts come loose at the 90 lb/ft so I'm generally at 100-110. I have a habit of doing it by feel and going back to check it with my torque wrench just to hear the click. Of course my torque wrench could be crap.. I treat it properly. I have had this conversation with my cousin whom I let use my tools/quickjack. Almost every season when changing tires he goes with his 80 lb/ft setting from Honda. I did cross check with my own torque wrench (he bought his own) and we're pretty much spot on. However I tell him to A) check it when he gets home and B) Check it a few weeks later. He isn't too embarrassed to call me and tell me that in both cases his are loose again and had to retorque it. I know maybe going to 110 is "too much" but I've had at least two wheels come too close to coming off in the past (10 yrs or so ago) and I just am happy as a clam the way I do it. The last time my e60 did this I stopped on the side of the road to tighten it, then drove one exit and tightened it again.. and then a third time I just gave it a good beating. It probably wasn't sitting right from turning on the highway.. but still.. ugh.
Must be the road conditions on the 128 All my years switching tires on my ZHP I've never had one come lose. Perhaps I just lucked out. Will torque to 90lb-ft and recheck after 1-2 tankfuls of gas.

HAGWE

-jay

Appreciate 0