View Single Post
      10-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Just a little food for thought that definitely goes against what a lot of people say... I used to try to follow the torque specs, but I've had lugs and nuts come loose at the 90 lb/ft so I'm generally at 100-110. I have a habit of doing it by feel and going back to check it with my torque wrench just to hear the click. Of course my torque wrench could be crap.. I treat it properly. I have had this conversation with my cousin whom I let use my tools/quickjack. Almost every season when changing tires he goes with his 80 lb/ft setting from Honda. I did cross check with my own torque wrench (he bought his own) and we're pretty much spot on. However I tell him to A) check it when he gets home and B) Check it a few weeks later. He isn't too embarrassed to call me and tell me that in both cases his are loose again and had to retorque it. I know maybe going to 110 is "too much" but I've had at least two wheels come too close to coming off in the past (10 yrs or so ago) and I just am happy as a clam the way I do it. The last time my e60 did this I stopped on the side of the road to tighten it, then drove one exit and tightened it again.. and then a third time I just gave it a good beating. It probably wasn't sitting right from turning on the highway.. but still.. ugh.
Appreciate 0