View Single Post
      09-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #32
jcatral14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral Grey X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Honestly as long as all the tires match you can do whatever you want. In general when people are getting new tires they want to be around 3% difference but anything under 5 is acceptable. It really only throws off your odometer and speedometer. That and of course if you go so big it rubs everything.
Thanks! Just needed a +- number and looks like I will be well within the 3% tolerance. Not going crazy wide with 265 so I should be okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
Going to a 245/35 or 255/35 works either way from an overall diameter, but also take in consideration of the width of your wheel as you don't want to "over-tire" the wheel. Not all, but most 255 have a starting recommended minimum wheel width of 8.5.
Good point. Not going 255 but likely try and stay safe with 235/40 20s so should be safe

BTW still inconclusive (to me) about the spare. Person I reached out to at BMWNA says the spare “steel Black wheel” Part # 36 11 6 851 507 shows it will work with sport brakes. Will ask the service department to dry fit the wheel when I go for my first oil change/service before I commit. I'd hate to buy the wheel and find out it won't fit. Otherwise I guess my option is to buy a single cheap 18" rim and tire as a spare. My only (major) complaint with that is it'll eat up a lot of my already small cargo area

-jay

Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50