View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #61
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Hi Everyone,

I didn't get any notifications to this post, but I do login frequently enough just to see if there is new stuff to do.

So.. no, I haven't yet bothered to go to the dyno, it's more of actually finding an AWD dyno, calling and seeing what their prices are. I have followed some local pages and there is a lot of complaints about pricing and time. The last time someone did a pull at a place I had been to decades ago they charged him $340 for the few pulls.. which I am NOT going to waste my money on. The general complaints are that 3 pulls should be approx 1 hr and be about $150 .. but most dynos are RWD dynos so that puts it out of the picture for me. Again.. it's about time and money for me to actually go do it.

What have I done to my car previous? Nothing... although I did fabricate my own open air intake if you look around I have pictures of that. That by all means has nothing to do with the performance of the car, and whenever I do get to dyno the car I will throw in the stock box, and perhaps on my final run put the cone back in.

In terms of failsafe mode.. I am running the full blown JB4, which is why there is a failsafe map that it reverts to. I have only been able to get it to do that when the car is not fully warmed to temperature, which can take 10 minutes sometimes for that oil temperature to get all nice and toasty.

The JB+ and the Dinan both are boost controllers only. There are no failsafes other than the factory maps. For $50 more the Dinan will let you adjust those maps with your phone. I don't think it actually "logs" more than just shows you the boost it's reading from the sensor, which is ultimately probably what the OBDII reads.

*Here's the interesting thing*
My car via OBDII was indeed reading 22.8psi ish from stock. However... with the JB4 installed I got a full log of everything. Peak boost was indeed higher, but tapering off. You might call it a boost spike or what not. Terry was very responsive in looking at all my logs, and we settled on a baseline boost setting that ended up at 2.5psi over what the peak of 25psi was showing on my stock run. So in the end the JB4 logs showed approx the 27.5psi peak boost. The car is behaving totally normal and there are zero issues. I do occasionally (once a month maybe) get an error of: 102001 Air mass plausibility or a 20E120 Breather Crankcase hose. This is listed as a "tuner code" and is 99.9% because of my intake. This does not throw the car into limp mode or any safety mode.

I'm sure that the car itself can handle plenty of boost without an issue, and according to the JB+ manual default is 3pm on the boost dial for 3.5psi over stock. I would probably get someone to sit in the passenger seat, get an OBDII reader (anything you use for bimmercode or programming would work) And get them to watch the "stock" boost after the car is warmed up. I would then just start with the dial turned a little down (or just go for it) and see what the increase in boost is.
Appreciate 0