08-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I always keep the stock parts.
I find you get a better price on the parts than letting it go with the car.
A car with an Akra won't get as much of a premium as a car plus selling the Akra privately.

If space is an issue then it's probably not worth the hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
This exactly! I traded in my m235 and made $5,000 from my aftermarket parts which is now my down payment on the M2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
OP: this is what I have heard from many others. Return the car to stock, sell as stock, and sell off the performance parts separately. Full disclosure, I have not done this yet (since I have not actually sold any of the cars I've put mods into yet) but this is what everyone has told me. I hung onto the OE exhaust on my F82.
Depends on the car too and how old it is. If you are going to keep it for 10 years, scrap the exhaust for whatever money the junk yard gives you. Could also sell it to someone looking to have a stock exhaust but that won't be for a few years. The reason being is that most 10 year old cars go straight to auction if you don't sell it private party so mods don't matter at all that that point.

When I sold my STi to carmax, they told me to keep the mods on as that wouldn't change their offer in any meaningful way. It would have been a far bigger hassle to return to stock since it wasn't just a bolt on or two.

However if you have the desire, you will always get more money from selling your aftermarket parts separately. But if you don't do your own car work, that could be an expensive proposition.
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50