2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Is this the same projector at a great price?
https://www.idepotmall.com/products....hoC5eoQAvD_BwE

And this for the Sony?
https://www.abesofmaine.com/Sony_VPL...xoC0Y8QAvD_BwE

Which would you choose, and why?
I've used both extensively... in summation, the Epson is a brighter projector; while the Sony is more refined.

When considering which to buy I'd first consider the following:

1. Room brightness control. Is this a south facing room with plenty of windows, or a basement room with nearly no windows? Will the room be primarily used to watch movies, or sports and television shows... Sports are more interactive and thus watched in a brighter room. A brighter room needs a brighter projector (and ambient light rejecting screen).

2. Throw distance and screen size. Longer throw distance between projector and screen; as well as screen size requires a brighter projector to achieve the same image brightness. I call this "spreading the pizza dough." The bigger you make the image (or pizza) the thinner it gets. I'd recommend 100-110" diagonal (16:9) for entry level projectors like these, but adhere to SMPTE or THX viewing distance guidelines.

3. Viewer "maturity." Is this the first home theater projector the viewer will own? Does the viewer have high-quality flat panel displays already? A mature viewer will need a more refined projector. Imperfections become more viewable as image size increases.

For ME it is simple... I'd pick the SONY. The Epson looks too rough to this extremely-mature viewer, plus I have great control over my room brightness.

For the average inexperienced viewer I might pick the Epson. The first thing people notice is image brightness and the Epson wins this brightness shootout.

Perhaps if I were comparing these two pjs to cars I'd associate the Epson with a Mustang GT; and the SONY 45ES with a BMW M240i? 🤔