View Single Post
      10-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
r999
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
I'm afraid its inferior just by comparing official BMW data for both, the ZF8 usually is rated faster than manual while using less fuel.
The Aisin however is exactly the opposite, its rated slower than manual and is using more fuel.

(comparing german versions as you guys won't have the manual in the X1 as far as I know)
Autos aren't really better than manuals for fuel economy or for performance. It's just that things can be arranged to make them look that way. A typical way to make an auto look better than the manual on the same car is to give it slightly lower overall gear ratios than the manual in the first few gears to improve initial acceleration, and higher ratios in the top gear or two to give it better fuel consumption at motorway speeds. Then it appears to be better on both measures. That, of course, leaves a larger gap (step) in the gear ratios somewhere, which harms acceleration in the upper speed ranges, but as nobody ever quotes figures in that range, few people notice. This is how my 550i auto is configured compared to the manual. The new X1, on the other hand, appears to use the same overall gearing for both manual and auto, so no flattery is taking place.

As for the new X1, in German spec:

- the 0-100 km time is identical for manual and auto on the sDrive18i, the sDrive 18d, and the xDrive 20d;
- the top speed is identical for manual and auto on the sDrive 18d and the xDrive 20d;
- the fuel consumption is identical for manual and auto on the xDrive 18d and the xDrive 20d.

- while the auto performs a little worse than the manual in a few other cases. But viewed altogether, the differences are not significant enough to justify your claim that the Aisin is worse than the ZF.
Appreciate 0