09-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
It doesn't.

I suspect the purpose of this is more for safety reasons rather than anything else ie it is to try and reduce radiant heat from the turbo and prevent the car catching fire, the hood or rocker cover getting heat damaged etc rather than trying to cool the oil etc

BMW had issues on the R56 mini model (turbo) where the water pump that cools the turbo was failing. As a result there were quite a few cars that caught fire and even burnt to the ground. This resulted in a model recall and they replaced the turbo water pumps on these cars.
I heard there were a bunch of minis with water pump problems. That aside though, the purpose of a timer in a turbo car was to keep the engine running in order to keep oil pressure and the turbos fed with fresh oil until they cooled to a temperature that wouldnt leave baked oil in the turbo and eventually cause premature failure. Dont get me wrong, I'm not an advocate saying put a timer in this car. However I do believe that if you're at the track or running a car hard, especially one that is equipped with a turbo(or 2 in this case), its a good practice to leave it running for a few minutes after driving before turning it off. My comment was brought about by what seems like a lack of understanding on the entire subject and the general purpose of a turbo timer. If you get turbos hot, then cut the power, it leads to coking. If you get the turbos hot, then cut the oil feed(motor off) but leave an auxiliary water pump feeding the turbos, you remove a possibly dangerous situation like you mentioned with the mini's but you dont do anything to eliminate coking.
Appreciate 0