View Single Post
      03-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #110
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Perhaps you could explain to me (I’m just a dumb yankee hick, after all) why valuing freedom and autonomy as intrinsically good, and resisting efforts to take it away, is “stupid” or “spineless.”
I think I was the one called spineless in this topic

There is no situation thinkable in the matter of this speed limited volvo that you could use without severely breaking the law.
I mean your ABS or airbags or seatbelts... All compulsory.
I don't hear you about that. Yet they limit your valued freedom and valued autonomy.
Why is that?

And a system that wouldnt allow a car to start if a drunk driver would crawl behind the wheel, I'm ALL for that!
Drinking and driving is a no-go as far as I'm concerned (And if they can extend that to other drugs... excellent).
The fact that you read time and time again that some dumb drunken f#ck hit a family crossing the street on a zebra crossing killing them makes me sick every time I read about that.

What do you think about speed limits in general? Would you rather live in a world without them? Sure that would give you so much more freedom and autonomy.
But.......do you have kids?
I wouldn't mind a system in my car (or other peoples cars) that would limit the ability to excessive speeding, certainly in high risk areas.
TBH the maximum speed on highways/autobahns is for me personal the least of the priorities. I'd rather see a geofenced limiter mandatory on cars entering for example school areas, or strict residential areas where kids play around and dogs around etc. Those areas are of far higher risks imho.
And I'd rather see Volvo concentrating on this, but I suspect thats not yet technologically feasable.
I mean I dont have kids, but if I look at how fast some people drive in my street (not a cul de sac but similar, just homes).... I still wouldnt want to see the kids of my neighbours get hit and die by someone with a morning temper late for work....

Perhaps my empathy level is stronger than the average american one.
I'm at least not afraid of a discussion around such systems. I wouldn't want a system that exactly limits your speed to the speed limit at any place all the time (as I think that would also 'dumb down' driving skills), but a system that takes excessive things away, especially in high risk areas with mainly vulnerable road users (pedestrains, especially kids) or drunk driving, I'm all for that.
This is also partly because I think that by far not everyone is fit to drive. Sometimes it seems that passing your driving license is a 'right' (and then I live in a country where passing for your license takes far more training and has a higher age restriction), but I totally don't feel that way.
I think the average driver isnt occupied with driving at all. Far to undisciplined, and far to distracted. Lacking responsibility yet allowed to drive.
So I also hope that 100% autonomous driving becomes a possibility as fast as possible as I think that people who'd rather play with their phones behind the wheel will certainly go for that. (taking away another of my annoyances).

But not even wanting to start or participate in a discussion on these topics will certainly not help make things safer imho.
At one point the discussion about seatbelts, airbags and whatnot also had to be started. And also turned out to be a good thing imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-07-2019 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0