On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
At least I'm not a scared yank hick, too scared that 'they' (the big 'they') take everything away (talk about spineless.....). Every type of false freedom that you live by. (not knowing that the driver package is still electronically limited )
We saw it with making seatbelts complusary, every hick in town objected, stating that it 'intrudes his freedom' or whatever...
Now.... the same thing again. There will always be stupid people I guess, especially in the US.
I bet you have a hard time, living in a world where seatbelts, airbags, abs etc are all compulsory in mass produced cars.

Lets see what I'm going to do tomorrow.....
Maybe hit 175mph on the autobahn 31 again, just because I can and you'll never experience that....
Then again, if you have the ability to do that, you'd know that its not thŕt special, and that it certainly won't really help you to get there faster.
But I'm sure that when one thinks that the ability to drive faster than 112mph on public roads is connected with jets breaking the sound barrier or launching things into space, you're far far from the level of understanding this.
Perhaps you could explain to me (I’m just a dumb yankee hick, after all) why valuing freedom and autonomy as intrinsically good, and resisting efforts to take it away, is “stupid” or “spineless.” Statists always ignore or dismiss the value of freedom and focus exclusively on safety or whatever promised benefits new laws, regulations, and limits will purportedly bring. They also often ignore the unintended consequences of their regulations, which are often many. Western countries have enjoyed freedom for so long that they now take it for granted and will trade it away for almost any promise of increased safety. It’s a shame, because our freedom is slipping away.

Let’s be realistic: Volvo doesn’t give two shits about your safety. They care about selling cars and limiting their own liability. That’s what this is about. And through regulatory capture, this kind of idea could easily become law. No thank you.

And I’ve driven the Autobahn plenty of times in my M3. It sounds like you take that for granted too. I wouldn’t trade it away for some trifling bullshit, but I suspect you would. Be careful what you wish for.