View Single Post
      12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Smoove B
Urban Gorilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: oh six 330i 6MT

I endured shin splits for several years and eventually got it resolved. I can't speak to the ankle pain, but here's my personal take on the shin splits.

Shoes make a world of difference. (1) Try this web site: www.roadrunnersports.com, and determine the type of gait you have and shoes you require. (No, I don't work for Road Runner Sports). You need not order the shoes from them, but you can learn some things about how to take care of your feet. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes based on gait analysis -- your self-analysis of someone else analysis of your stride. When you run, only wear running shoes. Hey, hey, I don't mean you should go streaking. This is not that kind of site.

(2) If your weight has increased significantly since high school (as mine has) you'll likely need to strengthen your calves. I'd recommend that you do resistance training for your calves. This is best done with the machines in a gym. Now would be a good time to go on and get that gym membership if you haven't already. If you go to a gym, hit the weight machines for the calves three times weekly. You gotta load up on the weight to work the calves (200 - 300 lb. range).

(3) Get some neoprene calve supports from a local running shoe shop, or order them from Road Runner Sports.

(4) Back off the running for a while (3 months) while you build strength in the calves, but do walk vigorously for a mile or more. A gym treadmill works well for this.

(5) When you do resume running, make it slow speeds and short distances. Gradually pick up the pace and distance over a period of weeks. Warm-up and stretching are important before and after running.

Over the years I've gotten advice from different sources as you're getting. I'm telling you what has worked for me. I've done all the steps above and have left out the superfluous tips that didn't work for me.

Any way, hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing.
(6) Be patient throughout the process.