View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Normally I wouldn't ask an OP a question that has already been asked and answered, however now you've got my curiosity up. I'm with zorrro on this for several reasons: i'm not sure I see how storing tires with wheels is different from storing tires; with a dedicated winter set you can use shorter/narrower wheels with smaller tires there are more effective in snow anyway; 30 series 20" Blizzaks ain't cheap; you can match your wheel changes more closely to the actual weather rather than doing it according to when you can get an appointment to have someone do that for you. I could go on.
So I apologize for appearing to badger you on this subject but I'm just really curious as to your reasons. Care to share?
Man, did I really think I could ask a question like this and get away without explaining! Shame on me

(1) My M3 is my fun car. I have two other cars including a company issued SUV that I use in bad weather. I live in southern CT, and snow just isn't a major factor. Over the past few years there's really only been a handful of days throughout the winter where I HAD to take the suv due to active or lingering snow. It's mostly just cold and dry (or wet). Just like my previous 911, this M3 never sees snow. So the snow traction benefits of 19 vs 20 inch wheels doesn't matter to me. I just want a winter tire with proper cold weather compound so I can drive around in freezing but dry conditions knowing my tires were designed for it.

Out of 365 days in a year and there's only like what... 5 or 10 days that active snow or unplowed snow is on the ground AND and I have to go somewhere... It's just too small a percentage for me to make an undesired wheel change. If it was my every day driver.... maybe. Maybe.

(2) I absolutely love the 20" 666 wheels and have no interest in removing them for half the year - especially when there's no real benefit.

(3) Michelin is releasing 285/30/20 and 265/30/20 Alpin PA4's within a few weeks - so I'll have perfectly matching tire sizes.

(4) I have, however, considered purchasing really nice 20's (BBS, or similar) solely for the purpose of being able to swap out the wheels myself. But I always go back to how much I love the 666's and don't want to remove them for 5-6 months. And the wheels I would want are like $3-5k depending on the model. Entirely too much money for a minor convenience.

(5) with the 911, the dealer would swap the tires on my factory wheels in under and hour while I hung in the showroom and worked. One hour twice a year and $100 +/- isn't a factor that would make me spend $3-5k on a wheel and tire package that I don't love.
Appreciate 0