View Single Post
      04-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #167
e92hunter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Wrong comments? There’s nothing factually wrong about my comment, I just have a different opinion. Don’t be like that.

I know exactly what Mercedes did, my point was that they own the name, they can do whatever they want with it. AMG used to be an outside tuning house and there are plenty of people who don’t consider anything built after ‘99 when Mercedes purchased the company to be “true AMGs.” Some people consider everything after 1990 “not a real AMG” since that’s when they signed their co-operation agreement with Mercedes.

If you want to draw the line at hand built engines, that’s on you, but understand that it’s a completely arbitrary place to draw it. There are plenty of points from a fan perspective where you can say “they’re no longer real AMGs.” Or you could just listen to AMG themselves on the matter. AMG used to mean many things that are no longer true anymore and hand built engines are just one of those things.
You are just being defensive but my point is factual and not an opinion like yours. Mercedes AMG brand tagline is "One Man, One Motor". Everything you are describing is just marketing. Like my example above, an E450 was randomly swapped to E53 AMG the next month without any change on the body/powertrain. This is purely marketing and not based on facts.

Same reason an M340i is not a real M, no "S" engine code. Audi at least labels it properly with A/S/RS, no one claims their S5 is built by the RS team which you are insinuating with AMG and their 53 AMG/43 AMG series.
Appreciate 1
NYBulldog1309.00