11-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
kote4ka777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kote4ka777 View Post
Any resolutions of this problem? My wife's 2017 f48 (around 60k on a clock) started making exact same noise on driver's side. All started last winter, getting worse by now. At the beginning it was also just when you turning steering wheel left/right on low speed. Now it make creeking/squealing noise even in stop&go traffic. Checked/tight top nuts on a strut - they were just fine, my manipulation didn't do any good or bad. Removed the wheel, visually inspected suspension, all looks normal. Jacked up front left suspension (to mimic normal load) and tried to replicate the issue by applying force on different suspension components with pry bar - couldn't replicate the sound. Again, I'm not a professional mechanic so I might miss right point where to push, but from my judgement it really feels like the problem comes from uptop. Someone did mention about common issue with strut mount. Any details on that? What exactly is the problem and how to fix it? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
So finally figured out where the noise is coming from - Right Lower Control Arm Ball Joint. Had to buy a stethoscope to locate the problem (very handy thing when it comes to locating source of sound). Under further investigation showed little pinch on a rubber boot of the joint, looks like all the grease came out of that hole. Took little syringe and injected couple mils of motor oil (like my grandad used to do with his USSR made car ) and the noise is gone for now. Looks like some of old tricks are still applicable with new cars. Of course this is just temporary solution since the boot is compromised and needs to be replace eventually. The problem is that ball joint is stamped to control arm, which means that whole control arm needs to be swapped. Looking at it's design I really don't see any logical explanation on why would BMW stamp ball joint to control arm except reaping people off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0