09-24-2021, 02:46 AM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470MR10 View Post
thank you for taking the time to provide a very thorough answer. the cts intake you specified is highlighted in this review:

My thoughts on every single intake available. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1472560

the author has somewhat superficial reasons for not liking it, but i suppose some drivers prefer to show off their cars performance by parking it, raising the hood, and drinking coffee

if you don't mind, i'd like to pick your brain a little further. as much as I may joke about the appearance of a part largely kept out of sight, the author of the above post does have some bit of a point on the exposed cluster of wires. as i just suffered a wire related trip to the mechanic, i would like to keep them tucked away in as stock a manner as possible.

do you have any tips, or perhaps dremel related experience with modifying the wire housing so that it doesn't have to be wholly discarded with the cts intake?

also, my whole reason for getting an intake is that i turned off the Active Sound Device. but now i have missed a couple of upshifts in manual mode because i can't hear the engine and instead of watching the tach, i'm watching where I'm going (call me old fashioned, i know).

i am loath to fake the sound back into the cabin with ASD, and if i can get some noise back with even just slightly better breathing, that would be much more preferable. i have considered just getting a performance filter for the stock intake, but all i've read is that they provide more turbo spooling noise; i'm looking for a louder rev sound out of the engine bay for better timed upshifts (and to not bounce off the rev limiter )

do you think the cts intake IS the best solution for what i'm trying to get done? or do you have any other suggestions you think would be better, that still hit that price range or lower?
So where Anothony1s (the author of that article) went wrong was calling it a wire cover. It really isn't a "wire cover" persay but it is a splash cover for the integrated supply module. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

It is also not an ecu cover because the ecu is under the intake manifold.

So the function of this cover is to act as a splash cover for the connectors that attach to the integrated supply module since some connectors face downwards leaving the back end of the connectors facing directly upwards and susceptible to water pooling. However this is not a vital part imo as all the connectors are waterproofed with O-ring seals and grommets on the ends where the wires connect. Plus it is alwats protected from rain and via the hood and the rubber seals sealing the engine bay. So you can safely remove it without concern (like I have because my strut brace comes quite close to contacting it). If you are really concerned you can further protect these connectors by using dielectric grease and packing the ends of where the wires enters the connector, this will ensure they are 100% waterproof, and taping over unused holes in the connect (which again are sealed).

For not missing revs I think an intake is a bad solution because it doesn't really get as progressively loud as the exhaust note would. My opinion would be to save your money on the intake that offers literally little to no gains, and invest in a real tune instead. If you get a flash tune and a cheap tablet you can create a nice gauge setup which will allow you to have data logging, gauges, and most importantly a shift indicator where the tablet will beep loudly when its time to shift based on your preset rpm. It costs more than an intake but it will be worth it down the road when you decide you want more power and want to tune it further, you can also keep an eye on engine health with data logs.

Here is an image of my setup with MHD:

Last edited by F87source; 09-24-2021 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 1