02-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
fongph
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Thumbs down Tranmission slam for E90 328i 6AT Steptronic

Hi,

I wonder if anybody has experienced the "slam" or "bang" symptom when acclerating from a stop or decelerating and accelerating again. I don't know if it is a GM transmission thing; I have done some research on this issue and it turned out it is infamous for E60 and some 7 series. I can't seem to fine anything in particular to E9x though. my car is a 08 and it only has 4000 miles on it. I have experienced 5-6 times out of 20 times that I tried to accelerate rapidly. I think it got worse depends on how quick I want to accelerate. You will feel that some part of your drivetrain, mostly from transmission is hitting a "wall" so a slam / bang should best describe it. It is not metallic sound. For your information, all occurence of Slams/ Bangs were all when I was driving in "D" mode. The loudest slam I have had is when I try to make a quick left turn to beat the oncoming traffic so I floored it and "BANG" that I almost think I hit something. Correct me if I can wrong, I think in "D" mode the gear stays in 2nd and the attempt to accelerate rapidly requires a downshift into 1st and the transmission slam is indeed a 2->1 downshift harshness problem during the kick down process, right? I didn't have that problem in my E46 325i as I can remember. Please chime in for all 6AT Steptronic E90 owners. Thanks
Appreciate 0