12-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #53
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
You are not accurate. The cars you mentioned are marginally lighter than their predecessors but larger in most dimensions. Larger is not a quality enthusiasts covet.

...whatever the motivation of these companies they can serve these mass consumer segments without diluting their core brand and competencies or alienating their enthusiast base. Porsche does this perfectly. They build beautiful sports cars that are the right size, weight, and have the right transmissions while maintaining a large and dominant footprint in motor sports.

Calling out BMW for failing miserably to achieve what Porsche has doesn't make us less "adult" my friend.
You're right about size... I'm concerned that the G20 will simply make the 3 series too damn big (regardless of weight)

Porsche are doing a good job yes, though I've heard many a complaint suggesting the 911 has now grown too big... maybe that's where the Cayman comes in... oh no wait, we're now all whining about their new 4 pot engines!! And BMW haven't failed miserably at all, they are a business and need to make Profits! They still build good RWD cars, the 2 series being a prime example and the F30 is a fine car, if now a little 'over refined'! I do feel sad however that if we want a new compact RWD BMW in the future the 2 door 2 series is our only option!

Real pity the new 2 series GC will be FWD, however I bet it will still be a great car to drive as FWD doesn't HAVE to ruin handling (Focus, Golf, Scirocco etc)...
I do feel too many people are already slating this X2 purely because of it's drive orientation, before we get some real opinions on how it drives. My guess is that it will actually be a 'best in class' drive at it's price point (it won't match a Macan, but then that's a much more expensive car!)

Last edited by nozydog; 12-21-2017 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 1