12-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #49
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus View Post
Tell me (...U and whoever else) what's the difference between X2 (...FWD/AWD, AT, 4-cyl hothatch/coupè style) and the many similar models produced by other concurrent carmakers.

Tell me instead (...again U or whoever else) how many RWD, MT, 6-cyl, coupé like M2 there are around.

The former, the X2, makes BMW same as the most other carmakers.
The latter, the M2, makes BMW different than the most other carmakers.
???

What does that have to do with what I said about the people's general complaints about BMW's direction?

The M2 might not have a competitor that is directly the same but the RS3 and CLA45 are close (even though they have AWD). People would generally choose between the M2 or RS3 depending on what you want. Considering I am currently looking at this market (both the M2, RS3, CLA45 AMG as well as the Subcompact Crossover cars) I have looked into this recently for my personal use. I don't mind having the RS3. The 5 cylinder engine alone in the Audi makes it worthwhile, I'm just not big on the looks of the car. The CLA45 I-4 doesn't sound good, but that's how most I-4 engine sounds and not even AMG can overcome physics. I'm also kind of over having 2 doors. The smaller 2 door part on the M2 is better but the large 2 door of my M4 was a bit of a nuisance in small parking areas.

Engine, it's displacement, however many doors does not make the manufacturer, it is how they choose to cater the car for. There are many different other types of cars like the X2, as that is why others here are generally complaining about. They don't want BMW to chase others, they would prefer BMW being chased. BMW has no real car in this segment aside from the X1 but that is not a "coupe" version (like the X4 or X6). The Subcompact Crossover segment is filled with cars like the X2, BMW is only catching up to this. Mazda CX-3, Subaru Crosstrek, Nissan Rogue, Toyota CHR, Benz GLA. You can maybe shove in the Audi Q3 and even the Porsche Macan in this segment if you want to. The Japanese counterparts are far-less exciting but they sell very well because they are very inexpensive and do their jobs well. Porsche Macan sells amazingly well aside from being the fact that it's way pricier than others listed.