View Single Post
      02-03-2024, 07:18 PM   #1
GaramondBold
Rep
Drives: 2016 F48

low-gas chime gone after AvinUSA headuit retrofit

I did the AvinUSA headunit retrofit on my 2016 F48, after watching install videos by BMW DIY Guy and a few others.

On the whole it's good: A bit of jankiness where sometimes CarPlay comes on automatically (which I want), but it's not 100% reliable, sometimes takes a few keypresses to get from Android OS screen to CarPlay.

Here's my problem: It took me a while to notice, but it seems like I've busted some communication in the car when I installed the headunit. Things I've noticed:
  • Seatbelt chime no longer occurs
  • Low gas chime alert doesn't happen (I can see it on display tho)
  • Kombi display always asks me to set time/date, it never sticks
  • If I go from Android to BMW display (holding menu for 3 seconds) certain menu items in "vehicle info" are coming up blank -- check control doesn't show anything.
  • I also seem to have lost "miles" remaining for gas

Any thoughts on what might be going on? The only programming I did was change displays size and resolution.

I had a really hard time squeezing the new headunit control box in with all the wires on the install... worried I've broken a connection somewhere.

Figured I'd check in with folks here before I dis-assemble everything, has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is there a certain cable I should keep an eye on when I do try and un-assemble and re-assemble everything?

thx!
Appreciate 0