03-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
My only experience is with a C5 corvette. The LS lineup of engines is good - better than I thought they would be before I actually tried driving one.

The interior and seating position was awful. I'm 6ft3 and my knees were pressed into the bottom of the steering wheel. I would never own on in my life.

The gearing is just ... weird. Very tall first gear. It sort of works with the torque of the car, but strange.

The handling is pretty garbage by BMW standards, but it does a decent job based on the LS's torque output. Compare the handling to something like a Mustang GT from 2011 and the Corvette actually seems like a decent handling car.

But it's not. If the Mustang was like driving on ice, the corvette is like driving on lightly salted ice. It was exciting to make the rear end scramble for traction when coaxing that LS2 to start producing torque though.

Interior fit/finish and overall quality wasn't as bad as expected, overall, but it's still every bit a GM product which basically speaks for itself. I would imagine the C7 to be a fine choice, maybe, but they're just not my thing.

Bonus - the intake sound of the LS is pretty gnarly.
A few things, you say your only experience is with the C5, the C6 is different is quite a few ways. First off C5 doesn’t have the LS2 engine but the LS1 which has 50 less hp, 35 less tq then the LS1 in the C5. LS2 has basically the same Hp, tq as the high performance C5 Z06.

You’re a bigger guy than the average Joe so it’s not crazy that you didn’t find the normal sized seating interior cramped. Although my 6’ 3” 240lb buddy(RIP) was quite comfortable driving my C6 which has a bit more leg room than the C5 does. A lot of guys your size have a harder time in many two seat sports cars.
Handling is garbage compared to BMW? Don’t know how you come up with that conclusion. I will say that the C5 suspension and handling was very good in its day and the C6 was improved with better settings and minor changes. Just comparing a C6 Z51 to other sports cars of the time including the 911 and E90 m3 of the same era and they were back and forth in track performance. I would say your Corvette opinion is quite off base with that assessment.
Interior, I’ll give you that to a certain extent. It’s not up to par with most other sports car but the C6 weighs in a bit shy of 3,200lbs. That’s a very nice number and we all know weight savings is a very important factor in sports car performance. Corvette also usually comes in at best bang for the buck sports car comparisons.
We should also remember that the OP is talking about a Z06 C6 which is a huge leap up from from the base C6 let alone the C5 in handling, power, everything.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 03-09-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00