05-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #64
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiamoSF View Post
I have no idea why it would or wouldn't work. Could be a different wiring harness, hard coded in the software, soft coded (so you could code it with bimmercode), or it could just work. I'm just pointing out that having the board and/or the light on the instrument panel doesn't mean a whole lot, other than bmw is saving money by not printing out different versions of those components. There is so much more that goes into a feature like that than the cutout on the dash and the circuit board, just trying to explain (poorly lol) why it may look like it should work but doesn't. I hope it does for those who want it though!
Thanks for your thoughts.
The facts are;
-that all current F48 with auto boxes and electronic parking brake switch have the feature where you can apply the parking brake when you come to a halt and it will automatically disengage again when you put your foot on the gas/accelerator pedal. This feature ensures you do not have to leave your foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights thus dazzling cars immediately behind you, it can also be less tiring for the driver.
-the auto hold function goes one step further, when engaged it will reapply the parking brake whenever the car comes to a halt thus removing the need to manually apply the parking brake each time, this can be a useful feature if driving in heavy traffic with frequent stop/start conditions. The sensors, main electronics, HU are all the same.
-BMW does however make bespoke wiring harnesses for each car and this will often (although not always) mean that if a feature/function has not been ordered then the wiring will not be present [as an example, the wiring for footwell lights is not present unless you order the extended lighting but the wiring for the dash led strip is there and anyone can therefore install the strip if they buy the part].
- a member of the forum (Tinymilad) has determined that the F48 parking brake switch unit actually has the auto hold electronic switch present but that a blanking cover is in place rather than a button. Tinymilad has been able to modify his switch and has been using the auto hold feature in his car without problems for some time.
- I bought a second hand F48 switch (and have order two other BMW auto hold switches) and found rubber contact buttons in place (missing in tinymilad’s Switch), this makes modification even easier.
- some forum member have identified that their f48 instrument clusters actually have the AUTO H icon present however this is not the case for all instrument clusters and it has yet to be determined if this is a significant point.
-another forum member has tried to copy Tinymilad and activate auto hold [by opening the switch and engaging the switch contacts] they were unsuccessful but we do not yet know why.

It is assumed that many members reading this thread may be interested in either having the feature or understanding if it can be enabled on their car. I have been researching if coding may be an issue (tinymilad did not say coding was needed). I have only been able to find one reference to autohold coding (owner claimed it activated auto hold in their car), namely,

DSC->3000 Allgemein, 20->Funktion_AutomaticDriveawayRelease_aktiv->aktiv (nicht_aktiv is the default)
EMF->3000 Kodierdaten, 14->ADR_AKTIV->ADR_ein (ADR_Aus is the default)

but have not had time to check/test, So far I have not found the code.

As mentioned, I do not currently have much time, am still awaiting other two switches to arrive and have not tested if feature works in my car BUT I will try and do my best to work with other forum members to solve this mystery.
Thanks

Last edited by MJE60; 05-24-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 3
StefanJ68.00
iceman7117.00
Pph5537.00