05-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #62
AndiamoSF
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiamoSF View Post
It is cheaper to reuse the same components on multiple product lines than to build out new ones with minor differences. That the auto h icon exists on the dash doesn't necessarily mean it's wired up or functional as a display. Same goes for the circuit board where the parking brake is... they probably use that same board for all their cars and just change out the housing. Doesn't mean it won't work, just means that the presence of those components doesn't necessarily mean it will work.
True (all valid points), except someone with an F48 has opened the switch and got the function to work. I am just trying to determine why and whether this can be replicated in all F48 and if not, why. Any thoughts?
I have no idea why it would or wouldn't work. Could be a different wiring harness, hard coded in the software, soft coded (so you could code it with bimmercode), or it could just work. I'm just pointing out that having the board and/or the light on the instrument panel doesn't mean a whole lot, other than bmw is saving money by not printing out different versions of those components. There is so much more that goes into a feature like that than the cutout on the dash and the circuit board, just trying to explain (poorly lol) why it may look like it should work but doesn't. I hope it does for those who want it though!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00