Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Not Code 3, but what we like to call Code 2.5. That's where you see us pull up to a traffic signal at an intersection, stop traffic using the squelch/siren and flash the lights briefly, and roll through the intersection.
This is a sore subject to me, having had my wife's vehicle wrecked and her moderately injured as a result of a police car that wasn't responding to a call deciding to do the lights and siren thing so they wouldn't have to sit at a long traffic light. She stopped at the line on a green light for the crossing police car, but the pickup truck hauling a landscape trailer behind her didn't even put on his brakes before plowing her through the intersection. (The patrol car turned off his/her lights/siren and kept going like nothing happened.) I personally saw a patrol car from the same town pull the same stunt in front of me a few weeks ago, and filed FOIL requests for all dashcam, body cam, and radio call transcripts from +/- 30 minutes of the incident time (from my own dashcam's FPS-synchronized clock). I respect the police and certainly wouldn't want to have their jobs, but they need to be aware of the consequences of abusing the tools that we have provided them in non-emergency situations.

OK, now for a question. What is the best way to disclose to an officer during a traffic stop that you are legally carrying on a CCW permit? Our state does not require that we inform an officer unless asked, and it is a major debate among gun owners about whether or not a CCW permit holder should volunteer this information. Would handing the CCW license with the drivers license be a good ice-breaker?????
I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident involving your wife. I'm glad she wasn't injured badly. Both departments that I've worked for discourage Code 2.5.

As for the CCW....

....I would recommend that you kindly present your CCW credentials along with your state issued driver's license, insurance and vehicle registration. Notify the officer that your concealed weapon is on your person, in your glovebox, etc. The one thing an officer DOES NOT want is to be surprised by seeing a gun in a vehicle or noticing a gun on somebody's waistline. It rarely ever ends well.

Contrary to popular belief, the CCW doesn't really cause tension during the stop.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
vreihen1614892.50
clee1982796.00