View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I was offered a similar price as far as I can remember for extended warranty. My salesman did say that I could find better "aftermarket" ones after I declined and asked him directly if he thought there were better deals out there. I'm one to do everything myself.. and have not been unfortunate to have anything break that I would have needed my warranty for. They are in the business of making money, so if it was such a "good deal" then they wouldn't be in business anymore. One of my friends has had: headlight, comfort door handle, oil pan leak, transfercase, cv joint/axle, steering wheel joint All changed on his F10 5 series. Needless to say, he made out like a bandit on the warranty. Of course I had an e60 5 series and I did break an axle after 150K on my car.. BMW genuine axles are about $900 a side and to be replaced at the same time ($1800 plus labor!). I went with a different bmw parts store for $600 all in for both. Admittedly the axles were certainly not as beefy, but were GKN branded OEM. Of course, by then if I had an extended warranty, it would have expired anyways.

So.. headache free for 6 yrs 75K for an additional $4K? Not horrible, but in my case I would put it into investments, and my own labor is free Also to note for me I had to pay the warranty up front, it was not part of my package since it was an add on. I honestly don't see why they couldn't roll it all together to make it more attractive. I also got extremely good discounts by financing out my car. Even though I have a tendency to go through cars quickly, those are almost always bought second hand. the leased cars used to be for the wife/kid but once we got the X1 she decided she liked it enough that we bought over the lease and she didn't want another car. I myself think I'll hold onto this X2 for a while since my need for speed is slowed down and I am happy with it now. I will probably pick up another project car along the way for fooling around with.
Appreciate 0