View Single Post
      03-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #42
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So Buble was absolutely the right thing to do. I'd love to see that good clean Canadian boy.....did he do Me and Mrs Jones? I'll bet you could hear the panties hitting the floor. The first time I took my wife to see Buffet (i'm a huge fan) she wore flip flops and some guy wearing a coconut bar barffed on her feet.....she was FUCKING MAD...swore she'd never go back. She has and she gets it now. Were going back this summer. Hope your wife makes out ok.....peace.
He did not do Me & Mrs Jones, but he did put on a great show. It was at the Little Ceasers Arena so he joked after opening that his contract required him to say “pizza pizza” during or after each song. Then he did it. Good gag.

Definitely a lot of females there, prob 3:1 women to men. And yeah, they were swooning. Not a lot that I would need two hands to score on a 10-point scale, though.

His band was excellent and could really kick out the tunes. All in all a great show and even better memories for my wife and me.

For Opera, there are some that are easier for first timers than other shows. It helps to kind of know the story (there are really only two stories: boy meets girl, falls in love, awkward conflict, work it out and everyone lives happily ever after - that’s comic opera, and boy meets girl, falls in love, awkward conflict, everyone dies - that’s tragic opera). It is the music I like, but my wife likes the costumes and staging. Anyway before we go we google the opera and get a synopsis, maybe listen to some of it via YouTube or whatever. Get a feel for it. Given the drive time, we usually play something like that in the car on the way. Any opera with tunes that were used in cartoons, or The Pill Song (Rusty Warren, played on Dr. Demento) is going to be just a bit more fun. Rigoletto, Barber of Seville, fit that. Wagner’s Ring cycle is well know from Apocalypse Now and Bugs Bunny but is way too heavy and long for newbies. Carmen has the Toreador song, which I think everyone knows (by ear if not by name). Probably La Boehm is my favorite, just such beautiful and emotional music. Rent was based on this opera.
Appreciate 2