View Single Post
      11-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Turbo lag? (non M35i engines)

Have any other non-M35i petrol 2.0 turbo owners noticed bad turbo lag in some situations? either X1 or X2 with the 7 speed DSG?

I have found that when the engine's hot (regardless of outside temperature), the turbo lag from standstill, or when needing acceleration after cruising at a fixed speed, can be really bad. Once the car's underway (say after 0.5 to 1 second), then there's strong acceleration.

This doesn't seem consistent, because at other times the responsiveness can be really good (esp when the engine's cold). That's why I don't think there's a hardware issue...

I'm using the BMS pedal tuner, which improves throttle response in many situations, but doesn't help with the above situations.

I've also tried in manual mode ensuring that 1st gear is selected, to see if it's an issue with transmission lag. The lag is exactly the same.

Wondering whether it's worth booking it into the dealer to see if there's a software update...or whether they'll just keep it for a day and waste my time.

Before I do that could other (non M35i) drivers let me know their experiences please...

thank you

(* non M35i because the M35i's engine and gearbox are totally different )
Appreciate 0