01-17-2024, 07:48 AM   #10
Berty
Lee B
Rep
Drives: Bmw x2

Coding Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehill View Post
The SOS failure (TCU battery) and the BC button are linked on X2 as well. Mine demonstrate exact behavior you are describing. TCU battery replacement is difficult and costly so I decided to code out the error with Bimmercode. Worked perfectly and I got full function of BC button back. You can see details in my posts on F39 section of this forum.
This one...

Great info.. good to know it was your first time using it. I need to pluck up the courage...lol

I found this solution by Mark333032 in Bimmerpost, used for a different BMW model. Many thanks.

"Open the Bimmercode app and go to Instrument Cluster/Expert Mode/3301 CC_ID_Sperre/CC_ACTIVIERUNG_5/Custom Value. You should see 'FF' listed in Bytes 0 to 7. Scroll to Byte 5 and change it from FF to F7 and press 'Done'.
Then back out to the 'Instrument Cluster' menu and hit 'Code'. The 'SOS Call System Failure' message is now gone. The only thing the car asked me to do was reset time."

This worked perfectly on my F39 to eliminate the very annoying "Emergency call malfunction" error message on the dashboard. This is most often caused by a dying TCM battery which is located under the shark fin and extremely hard to replace because you need to remove panels and lower the headliner. The replacement battery costs about 65 USD but the BMW dealer charges an additional 400+ USD for service to replace it. Batteries last 3 - 4 years (or less depending on climate) and you will then need to replace again.

This was my first use of Bimmercode but it ended up being easy, only a one byte code change. I used the Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth OBD2 Code Scanner to connect Bimmercode to my car, about 32 USD on Amazon. Only scary part was the dashboard went black after coding and rebooting the ECU. I waited a couple of minutes, turned the ignition off and back on, and everything came back. Just had to redo the time and date in the menu settings.
Appreciate 0