View Single Post
      08-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #79
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Maybe not you but seems like a lot of Tesla owners think fast 0-60 times = sports car. No, no, and no.
I think tesla themselves even think that.
When it was launched, the marketing team was quick to market the car as the car that equals the legendary mclaren F1 (official tesla statement). What a joke. As if the F1 was build for the purpose of the 0-60 time. Might as well have said that it surpassed the mclaren F1 because it has more storage space. That would be totally true, but also totally irrelevant in that scope of things. The mclaren was build to go really fast around a track, unrivalled handling, and did so with great succes, probably winning every class it entered. That's what's made it's name. And the tesla? there is none, no info from the factory what so ever about track performance. And in that way its pretty unique, being the only car where performance is so well boasted by its marketing team but being so quiet about the handling of the car. When a performance bmw, merc, caddilac, nissan, whatever is launched, first thing people look out for are track times, to see proof of how well the car handles. 0-60 times are for people who read the magazines but never dare to really challenge a car (or themselves as a driver for that matter). Maybe thats the group tesla's appeal to.

Mercedes build the sls amg electric drive a few years back. Obviously in smaller numbers and thus much more expensive, but that showed that it was truely possible. It did the ring in sub 8 minutes (7:56). And that probably is down on acceleration (0-62 in 3,9) and similar weigth to the tesla. So how come the fastest tesla time i've seen to date on the ring is 'only' 8:50? Not even that, thats a btg time where the merc did that sub 8 min for a full lap! (thats 10sec difference or so?)
So if there's one electric car that might be worthy of being compared to the mclaren F1, its surely the AMG sls electric drive, not the tesla I think? (although the mclaren is still way way faster around a track...)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00