Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
All the way, it is my year round car, mountains, bad weather and all. It was pretty bad driving in to work (heading west) but really bad coming home. A friend followed me in his X5 and couldn't believe it - I had more traction than he did. In fact, he said looking from behind at my car compared to those next to me that mine had a huge roostertail of snow - the tires were "pumping" so much out of the way. I am on Nokian Hakkapelitta R's on the OEM 18' wheels. They are really soft (so really low grip in the dry) but man do they grip. Blow away the Blizzak, Wintersport M3s, and other snows I've had.
What are those snow tires?

Mine were throwing rooster tails also, particularly when I went up that ramp with 5" of unplowed snow. I kept a staggard setup to maximize dry performance. In the deep snow, it'd be good to be a little narrower in the back, but I wanted the better dry performance.

Backing out I had to turn the DSC off for a second to rock the car over a big pile of snow, but that was no problem, even from a dead stop. On the road I keep the DSC fully on.

You gotta have the right equipment. The dry tires don't even work when it gets cold, much less when there's snow or ice on the ground.

Dave