View Single Post
      11-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

adi555, your tires have a wear bar found in the valleys of the tread to help visually determine how close you are to the minimum depth. Once the face of any tire reaches close to that point, you should strongly consider getting a new set.

From your 2nd photo, it looks like you're close to the wear bar indicator, but it's hard to tell. Legal minimum tire depths are set by locality, but there's nothing stopping you from getting a new set sooner. Handling characteristics in wet/snowy conditions may be compromised if you're driving on tires that have reached the minimum depth level or are close to it.

I've attached a close up of mine. I regularly rotate my tires ~5-6k miles and check tire pressure pretty regularly about once a month, which helps maximize tire life but maybe not necessarily handling characteristics. I'm currently at ~42k miles. I expect at least another 5-10k miles before I consider new tires.

Regardless of what the manufacturer recommends, I wouldn't delay getting new tires if you've reached the legal minimum depth, hit the tread depth indicator level or feel there's compromised handling characteristics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00