01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #131
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I haven't driven either one, but owners I've talked to from both sides have agreed that the Viper is much more "raw" than a Corvette. An instructor who drove one of his student's Vipers described it as, "Like wrestling a bear." Plus apparently there's still a huge temperature gap between the footwell and the cabin area proper thanks to insufficient heat shielding from the engine down there. Since this would be my DD and track car, I'm not sure those are the elements I'd want. But if I were buying a pure track car, that might sway my choice. There's something primal about an 8.4L V10, especially in 2014.
I definitely haven't heard any footwell heat issues from anyone in the club yet?? Even on my Gen3 that is all but eliminated by just pulling the cats out. The main problem that gave them the cabin heat was having an exhaust crossover run under the seats. That was eliminated in the Gen4's when a straight through exhaust was ran right out the side sills.

Track use is where the Viper shines. It's an N/A engine making as much power as the new Vette is doing with a S/C. The guys that road course theirs would not trade it for anything. The TA is getting all kinds of praise in the media as well.

If I had cash for a strictly track car, I would keep my Viper for street use, and buy a 2006 Z06 for track. A few tweaks on that thing and you have a very capable track rat.
Appreciate 0