03-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Does fitting an aftermarket android box, void the warranty of the car? I suppose it does. I am actually more interested in android auto, than apple carplay.
Also, on AVINs website it says "10.25" BMW X1 Series F48 (2016 - 2018) Multimedia Navigation System". Does that mean that the head unit is not compatible with 2019 MY ?
As Iceman7 has already indicated, this is a difficult question to answer.

Technically, the android box just utilises the auxiliary input of the existing car Head Unit (like plugging an MP3 player into the aux input of a home stereo amplifier). None of the android box functions input/affect the car ecus, (unless you count a display Screen as such). Even the replacing of the display with a different one should have no effect on the functioning of the car engine, transmission, etc.

Legally, a warranty should only be lost for those parts replaced or whose functioning has been altered/compromised by the fitting or presence of new non oem parts.
The reality will depend on country and dealer. I suspect some dealers would try to void a warranty for the entire car and it would then depend on any legal process. Certainly, many have retrofitted parts and coded functions without it affecting a warranty claim for a different area of the car. There are also some who have experienced problems. Because the android box does “piggy back” into the loom (essential for replacement display to show HU content) a dealer might argue the ecu were compromised by the addition of an adapter socket and it would be up to the individual to try to prove otherwise.

My best advice is that if you are worried about losing warranty then do not retrofit parts or undertake coding. There clearly is a risk.

I replaced my 6.5” BMW touch display and idrive controller with larger 8.8” genuine BMW oem versions rather than android, partly because my car was only 6 months old at the time and I wanted to protect the warranty. The BMW 8.8” display and touch controller, was fitted and coded and the VCM (vehicle configuration mgt) updated to ensure any future dealer coding recognises the new parts. I am prepared to fight if BMW try and void any warranty claim for the rest of the car due to the fitting of these genuine parts. I am about to fit a non BMW oem reversing camera (which connects using a similar adapter to the android infotainment boxes). I am prepared to do it now because retrofit of an oem version is not possible and because my car is 16 months old and I know I could remove the retrofit in the event I needed to make a claim on say an engine failure and believed it would be unfairly refused. I hasten to add, I would never try to make a claim for anything I know I was responsible for causing.

In the end we all make choices and should be responsible for them.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-30-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0