03-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Just a quick update. One of our forum members recently fitted an Avin android 8.1 unit. Primarily to get Apple CarPlay. There is a detailed thread on the retrofit, unfortunately in respect of CarPlay it has not been a success. There appears to be a bug/compatibility issue between the android unit and the F48 ENTRYNAV so that trying to play music through CarPlay results in frequent and regular sound “skipping”.
Check the thread on this forum by PurePulse64, unfortunately as at the time of writing Avin do not appear interested in offering a refund. We do not know if it would work properly on the later F48 ENTRYNAV2 HU or if this would be the same for other android 8.1 units being offered. so I would advice caution. If you are considering ordering anything from Avin, I would get a written confirmation they will provide a refund if it there is a compatibility problem.
I don't think it is big problem not to have 100% working Apple Car Play in such aftermarket units, let alone that the ACP dongle runs though the android part (it does not add ACP to the idrive part).

The unit per se is a fully functional Android tablet.
Any app needed could be run like in an android tablet.
90% of the Greek users upgrading to the android unit do not bother at all with ACP. The remaining 10% is not using it at all even though they bought the dongle.

ACP is mostly helpful in providing connectivity and apps/navi in native infotainment systems.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
smartg1.50