View Single Post
      03-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Just a quick update. One of our forum members recently fitted an Avin android 8.1 unit. Primarily to get Apple CarPlay. There is a detailed thread on the retrofit, unfortunately in respect of CarPlay it has not been a success. There appears to be a bug/compatibility issue between the android unit and the F48 ENTRYNAV so that trying to play music through CarPlay results in frequent and regular sound “skipping”.
Check the thread on this forum by PurePulse64, unfortunately as at the time of writing Avin do not appear interested in offering a refund. We do not know if it would work properly on the later F48 ENTRYNAV2 HU or if this would be the same for other android 8.1 units being offered. so I would advice caution. If you are considering ordering CarPlay for an F48 from Avin, I would get a written confirmation they will provide a refund if it there is a compatibility problem.

As at 04/2019 a large number of android boxes available for F48 are only really compatible with first generation (non touch screen) HEAD units when it comes to Apple CarPlay. I will update here if and when the situation changes.

Please note, my comments are about ordering an android unit purely to get CarPlay. IMHO the android units can offer a great alternative to people looking for a larger touch screen and/or options such as navigation which is not standard in their market.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-30-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
ttimbo281.50