04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
There were not limits on speed only the track provided the limit, you overtake on the left. What do you call serious speed? I reached 120 before having to brake very hard (ABS came on). As Ant Man says it’s not all about pure speed but how you drive the car. The instructor, assess you and the car ability to perform in a controlled manner, and encourages you to push it harder depending on these factors. Its a track based driving Skills event, and not a free for all trackday.
Sounds not that different to paying for an instructor on a track day. They'll teach you how you approach corners, where to brake and how to take the right lines. They'll even encourage you to got faster if they are happy with your abilities.

If you think a normal track day is a free for all then you're mistaken. Track's days have very strict rules about where you can overtake, how to behave, only pass on the left and any infractions you'll get a black flag and will be called in for a chat. If you don't listen you may find yourself going home early. At speeds reaching 120mph, you most definitely should be wearing a helmet. It's not a matter of if you are driving in a controlled manner. Reality is that shit happens, e.g. mechanical failures, oil on track, you make a mistake and at those speeds a meeting with an armco, roll the car etc will be a very unplesant experience. Heck even at Santa Pod you'll be told to wear a helmet if you trap >110 and that's just going in a straight line.

There are plenty of videos on youtube from track days, where you think how did he crash there? It only takes one mistake and there is nothing the IAM instructor can do to recover it for you. So I'm still surprised that they didn't require you to wear helmets?
Appreciate 0